SOFTWARE FOR SPACE MISSION DESIGN,
ANALYSIS, AND OPERATIONS
Leverage the power and flexibility of FreeFlyer Astrodynamics Software in your next mission. FreeFlyer provides complete astrodynamics functionality for missions of any size, any scale, any orbit regime, ITAR-free. With heritage on over 250+ missions, customizable interfaces, and easy integration into modern ground systems architectures, FreeFlyer supports the full lifecycle of your mission.
Your guide to the best, most reliable flight dynamics software begins here.
PROVEN FLIGHT DYNAMICS SOFTWARE
FreeFlyer is a commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) software application for space mission design, analysis, and operations. FreeFlyer stands out as the most powerful tool of its kind by providing users with a robust scripting language for solving all types of astrodynamics problems. FreeFlyer has been independently verified and validated for flight-tested, proven accuracy, and is used for spacecraft analysis and operations by NASA, NOAA, USAF, NRO, and commercial satellite providers.FREEFLYER HISTORY
FREEFLYER’S FLEXIBLE INTEGRATION
FreeFlyer offers flexible deployment options including customizable user interfaces, cross-platform support for Windows and Linux systems, and a dedicated API for integrating custom applications. Additionally, FreeFlyer-based ground systems can integrate with any 3rd party TT&C programs and external tools. It is scalable to accommodate growing and evolving mission requirements and provides an open framework to easily adapt for the automation of mission-unique functions.
The FreeFlyer astrodynamics software comes in two license tiers, Engineer and Mission. FreeFlyer Engineer is an ideal choice for mission design and analysis, including constellation design, sensor coverages, maneuver planning, Monte Carlo analyses, and more. FreeFlyer Mission adds the FreeFlyer Orbit Determination suite as well as the FreeFlyer Runtime API for integration into external applications and operational satellite ground systems.
FreeFlyer Use Cases
From future mission design and analysis to automated operations for tomorrow’s mega-constellations, FreeFlyer can be utilized in multiple ways to bring value to any space company or organization.
- Model the full life cycle of a mission, from launch and orbit insertion to on-orbit operations and de-orbit
- Perform trade studies to optimize mission design for constellations, sensor coverages, maneuver burn sequences, and more
- Automate real-time or non-real-time orbit determination for any number of spacecraft simultaneously
- Model potential space conjunctions and analyze data trends
- Perform human-in-loop BMC2 and wargaming scenarios
- Create live telemetry-fed FreeFlyer visualization displays to run 24/7 in Mission Operations Centers
- Scale large computational jobs on HPC systems with multi-threading
FREEFLYER’S COMPLETE ASTRODYNAMICS CAPABILITY
- Fixed or variable step propagation using multiple propagators and ephemeris types
- Full force modeling capability includes Solar System, atmospheric drag/lift, solar radiation pressure, IRI, and custom celestial bodies
- Detailed spacecraft modeling including fuel tanks, thrusters, proximity zones, and attitude modeling
- Custom sensor modeling with obscuration masking
- Formation support for efficiently modeling and analyzing constellation and multi-spacecraft problems
COVERAGE & CONTACT
- Hundreds of pre-defined and user-customizable ground station geodetic and masking profiles
- Easy-to-use chain visibility calculations to and from any objects, including spacecraft, sensors, ground stations, celestial bodies and more
- 1500+ reportable data parameters including spacecraft state, AOS/LOS, node crossings, miss distances, attitude, and much more
- Temporal, spatial, and user-definable custom constraints
- Customizable graphics visualizations for complex coverage scenarios
MANEUVERING & TARGETING
- Native support for impulsive and finite burn maneuvers
- Modeling for mono- and bi-propellant blow down systems
- Electric and chemical propulsion support, including low-thrust systems
- Built-in multi-variable targeting tool with differential corrector
- Spacecraft tank, thruster, and mass flow modeling for accurate fuel consumption reports
- State estimation methods of Batch Least Squares, Extended Kalman Filter, and Unscented Kalman Filter, with customizable combinations
- Spacecraft receiver and transponder modeling and co-variance propagation
- Ground station location, ground station antenna bias, transponder delay, maneuver and spacecraft property estimation methods
- Tracking simulator and editor for managing data outliers and viewing multiple measurement types simultaneously
- Ground-based, TDRS, GPS point solution and pseudorange, Spacecraft-to-Spacecraft, and BRTS tracking
- Support for multiple coordinate systems across any celestial objects
- Custom celestial objects for modeling asteroids, comets, and other planetary moon systems
- Ground station and spacecraft central body definable as any celestial object
- B-plane analysis and Rotating Libration Point (RLP) support
- Dynamically controllable solar system parameters for mission-specific deep-space propagation requirements
- Customizable 2D and 3D OpenGL visualizations
- Fully tailorable Cartesian and polar plots for use with any mission parameters
- Controllable layout of all output windows for high fidelity situational awareness displays
- Any user data reportable to consoles, tables, or export via custom reports
- Custom layer control of foreground and background elements within a single output window for fine-tuned display control
- Scripting provides full user control over all inputs, outputs, and logical flow of astrodynamical simulations
- Integrated development and execution environment includes syntax auto-complete, text coloring, and native debugger
- In-script methods for file parsing of external data
- 30+ mathematical functions, including matrix math and coordinate system conversions for custom algorithm implementation
- User-defined functions, macros, and lists enable systems to be complex yet not overwhelming
- Custom force modeling and custom object definitions via FreeFlyer Extensions
- Dedicated interfaces for MATLAB, TCP/IP sockets, databases, and other external applications
- Interfaces with ODBC databases.
- Runtime Application Program Interface (API) for use with other C/C++, C#, and Java applications
- Customizable user interfaces to manage operational script workflows
- Full support for seamless system integration and 24/7 automation in operational ground systems
FreeFlyer Deployment Options
FreeFlyer can be utilized in multiple unique ways depending on individual mission or project needs.
FreeFlyer Desktop Applications
This is classic FreeFlyer. Here, users can create new space mission simulations, called Mission Plans, through a combination of GUIs and/or FreeFlyer’s powerful native scripting language. Users can run Mission Plans locally, view outputs, change user preferences, connect with other external tools like MATLAB, and much more.
FreeFlyer Runtime API
The FreeFlyer runtime API allows users to embed the FreeFlyer executable engine into external custom applications. Here, the logic control, multi-threading, and task execution can all be controlled from the host application. The FreeFlyer runtime API supports integration into applications written in C, C++, C#, Java, MATLAB, and Python.
FreeFlyer is available in a variety of license types to meet individual user requirements and budgets, including:
- Fixed machine use or floating use
- Perpetual or annual license subscriptions
- Full desktop application + API or API-only
- Windows (Win 7+) or Linux (RedHat 6.5+)